Sunday, July 27

Heather started complaining last Wednesday that her ear hurt. I took her to the Dr within the hour because when Heather complains of pain you listen, this is the child who falls and bleeds and doesn't feel it. The Dr was shocked at how bad her ears were. Her left ear was full of fluid and her right ear was badly infected. Our pediatrician has never given antibiotics for ear infections and said this one needed them. She started Heather on amoxicillin. Heather was in agony and sobbed the whole time there. Since Heather was already scheduled for surgery(adenoidectomy) in 2 weeks, the pedi had me call the surgeon to see if she could take Motrin for pain. We got an ok for 24 hours of using it. Since then Heather has been in pain and spending a good part of her days lounging on the couch. She woke up today covered in hives so off to the Dr we went. The Dr covering for ours rechecked her ears and said they are both awful and called in some Zithromax for her since she is obviously allergic to the amoxicillin. She said she thought Heather needed to see someone about her ears and might need tubes for all of that fluid. I pointed out her surgery date and she wants the ENT to check her ears then and see and then have her hearing tested at her post op. This explains why for the past 2 months I have had to say "what?" to Heather every single time she talks. Her words are quiet and jumbled. And we have had to yell to her for her to hear us. Because her ears are a mess. I had spoken to the surgeon last week before this all to see if we could bump the surgery until fall and he talked me out of it telling me it needs to be done sooner. I am really glad he did now so we can this all settled. I just want Heather to feel good and be back to her high energy little self!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that Heather is going through this. I am praying she starts to feel better soon.

Debbie G.

Amanda said...

Hope Heather is feeling better soon!

Mandy

Anonymous said...

Poor kiddo. I'm sorry she's not feeling well and that the antibiotics gave her hives. (Allie is allergic to Amox too) I hope she is feeling much better soon!

Jenni said...

Oh my goodness! Poor girl. :(
I hope everything gets better and is all behind you soon.