Saturday, May 31

We saw the new neurologist

We met with the new neurologist a week and a half a go at Children's hospital. I came here to post about it a few times and just couldn't get it into writing. It is such a hard topic for us still. We waited for this appointment for almost a year. This is the Dr who was recommended to us by 2 pediatrician's and the neurologist at the Floating hospital for children that we saw. He is "the best of the best in the world as far as Tourette's Syndrome goes". So we waited for the appointment. He spent a long time talking to us and Alison and going over her history. He did several different types of tests and exams. He said her diagnosis of Gilles de la Tourette's Syndrome is correct. She has it in the moderate range of the spectrum. He said she has fairly significant ADHD too. We knew both of these, but coming from him, "the best", it seemed so final. He agreed with my choice a while back to stop all medicines. We agreed that we will only use one of them short term when her ticcing is at it's most severe. right now we are in the calm period and have been for a couple of months. Minimal tics. But it won't last he told us. We knew this realistically, but as a parent you think maybe it is done and we can move on. You don't want to think that they will come back. I finally see my calm, happy Alison back and to know this will come back and stress her again is awful. More than awful. But we will deal with it as it comes and will get through it. I know we will.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

I am glad that this time has come and gone for you Angela. It's nice that he agreed with your decisions on the meds. Waiting for things to change for her has got to be beyond difficult, but you said it perfectly, "we will get through it." You bet. :)
Will you be seeing him again?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. :(

Anonymous said...

I am sure it is SO difficult to go through all this and not know when things will change again for Alison. But she obviously has a GREAT mom who cared enough to wait almost a year to see THE BEST doctor!! And he is backing your choice on the medications which is great. You WILL get through it. I'm just sorry that you have to. HUGS!!

Robin said...

This must be very hard on you guys as parents, but I think you are doing everything you can. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Big hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you and Alison. You are an awesome Mom and advocate. You'll be ok, I believe that. Keeping you in my prayers.

Kris Herbst