Wednesday, October 11

I woke up today sick as hell. Only because today was Heather's evaluation that we waited 5 months for. I called and they said if we didn't come, it would be January before they could see her. So I dragged my sorry self there. The evaluation went pretty well. Heather was outgoing and gave them a great view of what she is like at home. Even her bossy side. After an hour long evaluation, the OT sat down to talk to me about Heather. She said, "I'm sure this will come as no shock to you, I am requesting services for Heather. I think she will benefit from starting here 3 times a week for 60 days and then gradually working down. " Yikes. 3 Times a week? I was not expecting that. I was saying to hubby yesterday, that I didn't know what I would do if they said she didn't need services. There is nowhere left to help her here. But 3 times a week? Is she really that bad? These evaluations never get any easier, no matter how many you go to. I am always torn between wanting them to say she doesn't need help, she is fine and them validating to me that it isn't in my head, she really does have these issues. It's so sad to know that she needs them and I wonder will she ever fit in or will she always be the kid left out because she is different. The OT said that Heather has multiple sensory issues going on. Which was why E.I had said they weren't equipped to help her. She said that Heather seeks deep touch(by her banging, biting, crashing) because her body isn't sending the right signals saying that it is enough. They showed me how to use a brush on her arms and tightly wrap her to give her the input she needs. On the other hand, she was very over sensitive and easily overwhelmed. Which they said is very typical of SID kids. She couldn't do something the first time, so she would refuse to try again and would sob. The Ot said this is just going to make her motor skills fall further behind, because she isn't learning the correct problem solving. She said that Heather has severe vestibular problems. She gets dizzy like you have never seen over the slightest moves, hates swings, cries when the car is moving. They assured me they can improve that, so that she can live a higher quality life. I hope they are right! They told me that kids like Heather are some of the most difficult to parent because they need so much and it is so difficult knowing how to help them. I didn't dare ask if it gets any easier! So, now I am waiting for our insurance to approve services for her. I was told they only cover 60 days and then we will have to pay. At $165 a session. Yowzers. But if it what she needs, then we will find a way to keep her there. E.I has assured me that these are the best in the country for SID.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Angela...so much of what you wrote was exactly what my friend in Rhode Island went through with her son. I vividly remember her using the light brushing on the arm and the tight arm wrap - they actually worked really well for him.

I know you have a long journey with Heather, but I also know that you can do this. Take it day by day and know that you are giving her the very best care. There is nothing more you could do for your daughter - you are a great mom!