Thursday, August 3

I had an ENG done a few weeks back to see where the vertigo is coming from. So after days of calling the neurologist, she finally calls me back. The conversation goes like this:

Dr(with her thick Indian accent): your results came back abnormal
long pause(me waiting for more info)
Me: ok...so what does that mean?
Dr: your results were abnormal
Me: ok...meaning what??
Dr:which means it is either caused by neurological or inner ear, we can't tell which
(another long pause)
Me: Ok....so what do we do to fix it?
Dr: umm...hmmm.. well...(long pause) Well, your MRI from Feb. shows no tumor.
Me: Ok....so...
Dr: has the vertigo gotten any better with PT and medicine?
Me: no, actually it is getting worse
Dr: hmm...(another long pause) Take the medication I prescribed. PT may or may not help depending if this is inner ear related. I will see you at our next appt(in 2 months!)


Great! So we have gotten no where and I am left to deal with this nasty vertigo.What was the point of the nasty tests if it told them nothing? I think I will look for a new neurologist and see what they can do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Angela! Okay, I have such a similar story with a dermatalogist I went to see about a lump on my forehead. Out of nowhere, I got this very hard, pea sized lump on my forehead. So I go to my mil's dermatalogist, who is about 90 years old, and he ordered a xray to see what is going on. The conversation with my results was this:

Dr: "Hi, I'm calling about the results of your xray"
Me: "Okay"
Dr: "Umm, well, the xray shows that it is not a bone spur like I initially thought"

long pause

Me: (finally) "Okay, so what does that mean?"
Dr: "Well, it could be a tumor, but I don't really know..." (trails off)
Me: "Okaaaay, so how do we proceed?"
Dr: "You know, maybe you should just get a 2nd opinion. I don't really know what to tell you"

SERIOUSLY!!! I followed up with a different doctor who ordered a CAT scan and determined that it's basically just a "bump" and as long as it doesn't grow larger, I'm safe.

What is UP with doctors?

mommy3 said...

Helpful? Not so much!

My dad used to get really bad vertigo. I think they determined it was mostly inner ear related. I'll have to ask him.

Hope you are feeling better and can find a more helpful doc.