Wednesday, March 15

The sun is out today finally! Of course the wind is whipping, it is only 32 degrees and I saw a few snowflakes make their way down this morning. But at least I see sun!

Heather started her therapy play group at the E.I center today. I wasnt sure it would go well being that it is 2 hours long. She can usually only manage to focus and last places for half hour or so. But she did great. Very clingy and timid for a while, but by the end was trying to get other kids to play with her. There were about 10 other kids with various "special needs". Heather even tried a craft project. She sat with the OT and glued feathers to paper. With only one melt down over glue being on her finger. She climbed on the mats and went down the little slide a million times. We left a little early because she was falling asleep on me and asking to go to the car.It was really nice to be able to let her be herself without worrying what people will think when she screams over not liking the way something feels or when they offer snack. I knew these parents(lots of dads there!) understood. They offered her smiles and one mom even convinced Heather to sit and try the crackers for snack. It was a place where I felt we could really fit in and be ourselves, which was nice. It is hard in other groups and even her swim because people give us looks like if she is that old why does she act like that. I think this group will be really good for her.

Heather's work of art from her group

2 comments:

Sara T said...

I am SO thrilled that her PT went so good!! It is so good for her to be around other kids "like" her.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited that Heather did so well at PT! I LOVE the picture she made!! You should frame it!