Thursday, March 16

Wouldn't it be nice if when you needed to make an important decision you had acrystal ball you could look in and it would tell you what the right choice is? That way you wouldn't have to wonder if you are making the right choice or the wrong. I am talking about Heather's head in this case. After talking to a few fellow plagio/cranio moms I am now deciding what next. They agree that her head is starting to get "lumpy" again. But what they told me is that at her age this cant be caused by plagio, meaning it would be something along the lines of cranio. Meaning more intensive treatments and painful surgeries. They suggested I take her back to the craniofacial surgeon and neurosurgeon for them to decide. However, I have really lost every ounce of faith in her craniofacial surgeon at Children's. He has changed his opinions so many times that I am not sure he knows what he is talking about. So do I now try to convince her substitute pediatrician(other is on maternity leave) that I need a new referral to another Dr? And if she agrees to give it to me, how do I know who is a "good" surgeon that wont just do surgery because if it isnt really needed? Do I leave "well enough" alone with Heather and just pray it doesn't get any worse? I just honestly don't know. I hate these types of decisions. Where I am the only one making them and I have no idea which is the right choice. I hate to put her through the pain of surgery if it isnt really needed. Yet I don't want to wait and say in 10 years that I wish I had. *sigh* I just don't know and I wish I had that crystal ball....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ange - I am good friends with my pediatrician, and I trust and respect him immensely. If you want me to get a recommendation from him about another surgeon, let me know.

mommy3 said...

Uggg... yes, a crystal ball would be nice, especially in your situation. Hopefully, you can find a specialist who can give you some good recommendations.