Friday, February 17

It is freakin windy here today! At 6 am I had to run outside to catch our run away recycling bin..in the rain. Everyone's trash cans are blowing around the neighborhood.

I had a chat with Heather's speech therapist about her melt downs. She said that it is extremely common in kids with speech problems, let alone with other delays. She said the best thing to do is to distract her when we see one coming on. She said Heather cant calm herself down yet the way most kids that age could. So ignoring it or putting her in a time out isnt the best solution. Though she did say we can use time outs for hitting and such. Hopefully we can figure out something that makes it easier on us all!

Alison is getting excited for her dance recital. The teacher picked a few kids in her class to do solos in their dance routine and she was one. So she is very happy. Dancing has really helped her come out of her shyness. She loves dancing and tries so hard to get the steps all perfect. She has also made a few good friends through dance.

Today Heather has PT at the new clinic. I hope she really likes it there. They are hoping that by getting her out of the house for therapy that she will let them work more on her neck stretches. I see her rubbing her neck here and there while she is playing. So I know it has been bothering her.

And of course, I end with pictures. :)




Alison after school on Valentine's Day. Reading her valentines.






















Heather not too impressed with the hair do Alison gave her






















And a book Alison made for Heather. It had a page for each letter with pictures.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I burst out laughing when I scrolled down to the pic of Heather with her hair standing straight up. So cute!

I have always heard that children with speech delays have a much harder time as toddlers because that frustration threshold is that much greater. I know it doesn't make it any easier for you to get through it, though. I actually said the same thing to Rich the other day when Lucy dramatically threw herself to the ground screaming because I wouldn't let her have a 3rd Hershey Kiss "she's not even 2 yet, what are we in for?!?"