Tuesday, November 17

Surrogacy Screening part 1

Today I had an all day long screening. Nine and a half hours of appointments! My husband and myself went to the IVF clinic early this morning. We met with their social worker first for two hours. We went over every detail of why we would do this and all of our concerns and questions. We then had to go by the lab for blood work and urine(fun!) The couple then arrived at the clinic and we all met with the social worker to make sure we were all on the same page. Which we were since we have already spent many hours talking things through with our own social worker. We moved on to talk to the nurse and learn about the many medications and injections involved to get things the way they need to be before the transfer. It involves regulating my cycle medically, then starting injections to suppress my ovaries. Followed by estrogen and progesterone to trick my uterus into thinking this is a natural pregnancy. This still seems so Sci-Fi... We left the clinic in Boston and made the trek to their other office about 35 minutes away. Here I went in to have an SIS ultra sound where they fill your uterus with saline to make sure everything looks good. The Dr said everything looks perfect and they couldn't have found a better surrogate. We all met with the Dr to go over more details and then our long day was over. I go back this Thursday to finish up a few more things and then that is it for screening. Then we just wait until they call and say to start the medicines to prepare. It looks like the transfer would happen end of December or January if all goes well.

I just wonder if I have lost my mind to take on a pregnancy(and a 30% chance it will be twins) at the same time we need to buy a house and move?

2 comments:

Sue said...

You are doing such a great thing for the couple. Way to go! I've contemplated doing the same for my brother in law & his wife, but I'm sure I'm too old. I hope all goes well.

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.