Saturday, April 5

I feel like I want to lock my children up in my house and not let them be exposed to the world around them. I had no idea the things kids do and talk about at 7 and 8. First Alison went on a play date at a friends a few weeks back. She came home upset because the little girl was googling naked photos. Alison told her she isn't allowed to use search engines and definitely was not allowed to do that. But she was upset and it was the first of her losing her little girl innocence. Next she comes home from school and asks my mother what is sex? Apparently when her teacher mentioned babies(me being pregnant more specifically), her second grade class mate said "babies come from sex." Then she comes home from a friend's house yesterday and tells her dad that they were watching shows about women dating and having sex. She said she told them she wouldn't watch and wanted to go home. They said ok but don't tell your mom. So she told her dad. Is it really too much to ask that parents watch what their kids are up to? I first thought it was just kids being sneaky, but now I am sure it is lazy parenting. Parents who don't have the time and energy to care what their kids are up to. Obviously I need to revamp my normal questions for parents before she goes over to play at someone's house. They will now include asking if an adult will be making sure they aren't watching anything inappropriate on tv or surfing the web. Either that or we will move to the country and homeschool.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have become really depressed working as an elementary school counselor as to what parents let their kids do/hear/see. MANY of my 1st and 2nd graders are playing Mortal Combat and Call of Duty video games. What the hell? Nevermind all the kids talking to me about mommy saying this about daddy and daddy's girlfriend doing this and blah blah blah. Oh, and my 1st grader who watched Borat with his Dad.

Seriously.

Although, I have to cringe at the sex one...Bailey knows all about sex, and might very well say something like that (babies come from moms and dads having sex) even though we have told him that not all parents talk to their kids about these things. He has asked mature questions for a few years now, and I believe in being honest and putting it out there, so he "gets" how a woman gets pregnant. I'd rather he hear it from me than misinformation on the playground! :)