I took Alison back to see the specialist about the Tourettes. I have to say that I am feeling much calmer and more at peace with it now. I refuse to let it bother me. I know I can handle it, and she is strong, so I know she can overcome the obstacles. I wish I could take it away so she didn't have to deal with it, but since I can't, I will just do what I can to help her.
The one thing that still gets me down is when people give you "Advice" without thinking about the impact of what they are saying. (I am referring to a relative here.) There is a difference between well meaning advice and criticizing every aspect of someone's life. I felt very personally attacked the other day and am trying to not let it impact my relationship with my aunt. We aren't sharing Alison's diagnosis with family(besides our parents) because frankly, I knew they would act this way. My mother slipped and told my aunt thinking nothing of it. So I get a call and the opener to the conversation was how I should not have any more children because they both have problems. It may be true and she has a right to think that. But you don't say that to someone. I know my kids have problems and I will always feel guilty for that. But I can not imagine life without either of them. I am so thankful for them both. I think that I do a pretty remarkable job of handling it all and making life enjoyable for them. And they are both happy and intelligent kids. The conversation just got even worse from then on. I was very offended and hurt. I had to tell myself that she just doesn't get it, because she has never had to deal with it. Don't judge people until you have walked in their shoes.
In better news, Heather turns 3 tomorrow. I don't know who was more excited- Alison kissing Heather goodnight for the last time as a 2 year old, or Heather because she is getting cake and a "big girl bed."
Deleting Blog Posts
9 years ago
2 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!!!
Thinking of you today big girl. The big 3! So exciting!
And about your aunt - big, huge, sigh. It's not like your kids have shaken baby syndrome or problems from secondhand smoking or anything that is PREVENTABLE and actually CAUSED by parenting. You can't help your girls having their issues anymore than I can help it that Bailey very obviously has anxiety and OCD tendencies (I'm not equating the issues, just giving an example of something that is hereditary and not caused by nuture, but nature).
I can't even comprehend someone telling someone else that they shouldn't have more kids - well intentioned or not. Hugs.
Oh Ange, huge hugs! I cannot believe your aunt was so cruel!! It made me cry so I can only imagine how hurt you must be! I am so sorry!! YOU are a WONDERFUL mom and your girls are FANTASTIC kids!!
Post a Comment