I was talking to a mom at OTA where Heather goes for therapy. We were talking about how people really can't understand SID and how stressful daily life is living with a child who has it. She said something that I loved. She said she tells people, "I didn't ask to become a therapist, I was drafted." I couldn't have put it better myself. I spend an hour in the morning, an hour in the afternoon and an hour before bed working with Heather. Very tiresome, but hopefully will help her in the long run. At times I feel very isolated because I can't just take Heather and go out. It takes more planning and I can never count on things going as planned(not that any mother of a toddler can!) We have been housebound lately. She can't handle the crowds everywhere this time of year. She gets so overwhelmed. She hand flaps constantly and licks her lips and face raw. All while clinging to me. Breaks my heart. I really hope she can get into preschool part time next fall and that that will help her some. Her therapist told me that realistically, she may not be able to be in a room with more than a couple of other kids for a few years. But she is working with me on an IEP to get Heather into a special preschool near us for kids with a variety of needs. I figure if she can't handle it, I can always take her out.
I have to get off and head out shopping. I finished for the kids a month a go, but still have to buy for both sets of parents, my cousin's kids, my nephews and my brother. I hate shopping this close to Christmas. Super stressful.
Deleting Blog Posts
9 years ago
1 comments:
First, that video with Heather is adorable.
I know we've talked about this before, but I do totally understand what you are dealing with (even though none of my children have SID). I feel like I got a crash course in it after everything that my friend went through. People think you are exaggerating or being melodramatic, but I KNOW what you are talking about - I saw what she dealt with day in and day out. Exhausting.
Heather is so lucky to have a mom like you - without being mean or catty, I will say only that my friend was not as unselfish and altruistic with her own son (one of the many reasons why we are no longer friends) so I hope you know how great you are!
Post a Comment