Saturday, August 12

I hate to keep blogging about medical things, but that is our life lately. I got a call back from Alison's Dr last night regarding her sleep study results. He said that she has severe obstructive sleep apnea. He stated that every time she fell asleep, her oxygen levels went into the lower 80s and her carbon dioxide levels rose very high. He said that this isn't safe and we need to act quickly.(Hello! I have been saying the kid has sleep issues for 4 years now!!) His recommendation is that we schedule surgery for the next few weeks. He wants to go in and carve out her sinuses, remove some of the mucous membranes and basically just make her sinuses clearer. We are going to talk Monday about removing tonsils too. He said that this surgery is rough and carries a difficult recovery. Yikes. She had a tough time after having her adenoids out. We ended up at Children's with her vomiting up blood that night! I am worried. Worried about whether I am making the right decisions, worried how Alison will react when she learns of more surgery(her 4th so far), worried how her recovery will be, and worried how I can handle the recovery with Heather needing my attention and no help. I have a bunch of questions for the Dr and I am hoping to talk to him Monday.

Even though I knew Alison was a horrible sleeper(averaging 3 hours, restless, etc), I was surprised that she had apnea. I dont know what I expected. I just hope that this will work and she can start sleeping good and feeling better in the days.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

My 21 year old cousin had that surgery last year and the recovery was rough for him. But if her sleep apnea is that dangerous it is a great idea to get it dealt with. Poor girl, I'm sorry she is going to have to go through something like that!

Anonymous said...

Hugs for you Angela, and for Alison too. Anyting I can do to help you out, you know where to find me.

mommy3 said...

Thinking of you and the girls! I'm sorry to hear Alison needs another surgery, but I'm glad that they were able to determine what can help her. Hope the procedures work so she can sleep restfully!