Friday, September 21

Headache

I asked the public schools special ed director why Heather wasn't given a spot in their preschool room where there are openings. She told me they won't put her in on an IEP. If I sign her off of her IEP, they will give her a spot. Which raised a red flag for me. I told this to the special ed director at Head start and she told me after looking through Heather's IEP and folder that we are being yanked around. I called our town back and asked them again what is going on and why they never added in speech this month like promised at our meeting last spring. More nonsense that made no sense. Every time when I have Heather at the public school for therapy, I see them taking kids out of the preschool room for therapies. kids with walkers, crutches, leg braces. The little girl who has PT with Heather comes out of the preschool room and is a dwarf. So, they are telling me these kids aren't on an IEP? Sure. I called an advocate, but it is looking like it costs money, which I don't have right now. The sped director at Head Start is going to try to call and see what's up. My head is spinning. I know we are being brushed off at the cost of Heather not getting what she needs, but I am lost as to what the next step I should do is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

e-mail me more details if you want - I'm confused. You are trying to get Heather in a certain class in a public preschool? So your system offers public preschool for non-IEP kids? (most systems I was familiar with in RI only offered preschool for kids with documented needs). But that seems contrary to what you are saying, where they WON'T allow Heather in with an IEP. One reason for that might be state regs regarding the number of aides and other personnel necessary for kids with IEPs. That's a very common issue - that would explain why they could take her if she wasn't on an IEP - they may be at their maximum for kids with IEPs and would need another aide, by state law, if that number went up.

Regardless, do NOT take her off her IEP.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry!! Sounds like a frustrating mess!! I hope Heather gets what she needs SOON!!